With any medical procedure comes a certain amount of risk of which a patient must be made aware. Unfortunately, no amount of warning can adequately prepare a patient for the effects of a mistake during surgery. As any Shinnston injury attorney with experience in medical malpractice cases can tell you; when a doctor makes a surgical error, it can lead to devastating consequences.
Your Shinnston injury attorney can carefully evaluate your case to determine if your injuries were the result of a mistake during surgery and if you are entitled to seek compensation through a West Virginia medical malpractice claim.
Common Types of Surgical Errors
Some of the more common types of surgical errors to occur include:
- leaving a surgical instrument or sponge inside the patient;
- problems with oxygen flow;
- anesthesia errors;
- performing an unnecessary surgery;
- making an incorrect incision (wrong side or wrong area of the body);
- perforating or puncturing an organ;
- operating on the wrong patient;
- using unsterile equipment; and
- delayed or prolonged surgery.
A surgical error can lead to life-threatening or even deadly injuries. A mistake during surgery can leave an individual with damage to the organs, brain and nerves. In addition, an individual may suffer from asphyxia, cardiovascular problems, infection, delayed healing, coma or shock.
Common Causes of a Mistake during Surgery
Some of the common causes of a mistake during surgery are due to:
- inadequate or improper pre-operative planning;
- patient's medical history not taken into consideration;
- time constraints (so surgery is rushed);
- more than one surgeon is involved in patient's care;
- lack of training;
- doctor fatigue; and
- poorly written notes, charts or records.
No matter the reason, a surgical error that could have been prevented with proper care may entitle you to hold a surgeon or other healthcare professional liable for your injuries.
Consulting with a Shinnston injury attorney is the best way to know what your legal options are and if you should proceed with a West Virginia medical malpractice claim. Choose a Shinnston injury attorney who has experience with these types of cases and can guide you in the right steps to take if you have suffered injuries as a result of a surgical error.
Your Shinnston injury attorney can give you insight into West Virginia's complicated system of medical malpractice law and help you to determine the types of damages to which you may be entitled.
Contacting a Shinnston Injury Attorney
The Miley Legal Group will work with you to fight for the compensation you deserve and help you to move on with your life. Contact us today to schedule a no-cost consultation - 304-326-1800