If you or someone in your family has been the victim of medical malpractice in West Virginia, you may be able to seek recompense for medical costs and pain and suffering by speaking to a Clarksburg medical malpractice lawyer about the possibility of filing a lawsuit for negligence against the responsible party or parties.
A medical malpractice claim is a type of personal injury claim in which a medical professional (usually a doctor) commits some act of negligence in his or her duties, the consequences of which negatively impact a patient, sometime severely.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice in West Virginia
- wrong site surgery, in which a doctor doesn’t read or interpret patient data accurately and operates on the wrong site;
- an instrument is left inside the body during surgery, such as a piece of surgical cotton, a scalpel, or some other object;
- an error in anesthesia, which are a common basis for medical malpractice errors;
- birth injuries that result from a hospital error can lead to Erb’s Palsy or brain damage in newborns;
- failure to diagnose errors occur when doctors fail to spot the telltale signs of serious diseases;
- lack of hygiene that leads to infection, which can occur when the operating room isn’t sterile; and
- prescription drug errors, which can be the result of an improper diagnosis, prescription, or even a filling error at the pharmacy.
The statute of limitations in West Virginia prevent victims from bringing a claim after a period of 2 years, or within 2 years from the time the injury should have been “reasonably discovered.” For this reason, it’s important that you should contact an attorney as soon as you have reason to believe that you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice.
Financial Recovery after Medical Malpractice
Malpractice can cause not only serious injury, but in some cases it can cause death. A claim can recover the cost of additional medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering that you incur as a result of the malpractice, but also performs the vital function of bringing wrongdoers to justice for their negligence.
If you or someone you love has suffered injury or pain as result of a negligent medical professional, you need to speak with a Clarksburg medical malpractice lawyer who can help. An attorney can answer your questions and investigate the circumstances of your case to determine if, in fact, you have been the victim of malpractice.
Your attorney is able to then build a compelling case that demonstrates that malpractice occurred and that you endured suffering as a result of it.
Contact a Clarksburg Medical Malpractice Lawyer
When hospitals act in a negligent manner toward their patients, the results will likely be life-changing. Although there will be a lot of questions and important decisions to make during this time, choosing the right legal representation can help you make the most informed decisions possible while you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. The Miley Legal Group in Clarksburg will work with you to fight for the compensation you deserve and help you to move on with your life. Contact us today for a FREE consultation - 304-326-1800.