A vehicle accident can be a traumatic and life-altering event. The costs of treatment and/or therapy, as well as other costs associated with the accident may drain a car accident victim financially. Such damages may be recovered by filing a car accident lawsuit against the negligent party.
If an initial car accident claim does not lead to fair compensation and a settlement can't be reached in a lawsuit, then the car accident victim may need to prepare for trial. If so, an attorney can help in preparing for trial by going over case details, possible testimony, and taking other preparatory steps before the case goes to court.
Preparing for Trial
If a court date is imminent, it's important to be prepared. The following are five tips to that may help prepare for the court battle:
- Learn courtroom procedure. A lawyer will know how the courtroom is run and what procedures to expect. Knowing what to expect during the trial may help ease anxiety and allow victims to focus on the case itself instead of worrying about the courtroom process and procedures.
- Review the case thoroughly. This one is simple, but an important preparation. An attorney will help his client examine and learn the details of the case before heading to court. Car accident victims should be prepared to testify regarding the facts of the case and their own side of the story.
- Prepare for testimony. When victims have to testify in the court case, they should go over what questions to expect from their own attorneys beforehand. Of course, an attorney will go over questions the other attorney may ask as well. Car accident victims who know the questions that will be asked – or have a reasonable idea of the questions the other lawyer will ask –can prepare themselves ahead of time.
- Prepare diagrams and photographs to prove the case. Statements made in court are bolstered with photographs and/or diagrams. For instance, photographs taken of damaged vehicles from different angles or the site of the accident may convince the judge and the jury. An attorney likely will present it to establish the other party’s fault and establish eligibility to recover damages.
- Calculate the damages. This is an essential part of preparation before the court fight. Victims must ensure that they obtain estimates of car repair work from reputable shops before presenting them in court. Estimates for the costs of medical treatment and/or therapy from a registered medical practitioner lend credibility to damage claims.
Legal Services of a Personal Injury Attorney
Insurance companies are known to be quite hesitant in advancing damages awards in cases of car accidents. Victims should be prepared for a stiff and possibly rigorous battle. If an initial insurance claim doesn’t result in fair compensation for damages, be prepared to file a car accident lawsuit and possibly wind up in court. For help recovering the damages you deserve, consult an attorney who can help in preparing for trial.
If you live in Clarksburg or the surrounding areas and need legal counsel to help fight a car accident case in the claims process or in the court, call The Miley Legal Group at (304) 931-4088 for a free consultation.