In the vast majority of cases, you will not be found liable if your vehicle was rear-ended in a Clarksburg car accident.
West Virginia Traffic Laws and Liability
The responsibility in most motor vehicle accidents is assessed according to West Virginia traffic laws and which driver violated them. The laws state that any car should be given the opportunity to stop safely when a vehicle in front of it comes to a stop. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the following driver to maintain a safe distance and to prevent a rear-end accident from taking place.
This logic applies to a rear-end accident which may occur:
- on a residential street;
- at an intersection governed by a traffic signal or road signs;
- on a road into which a side-street feeds; and
- on a freeway or highway.
It is also important to note that if you are the victim of a rear-end accident and your vehicle is pushed into the back of another, the fault for the subsequent collision lies with the driver who rear-ended you.
Exceptions to the Rear-End Accident Liability Rule
There are a few rare instances when the driver of a rear-ended vehicle might be responsible-or at least bear some responsibility-for a rear-end accident:
- If your car is in reverse and you backed into the front of another vehicle;
- If you suddenly stop for no reason on a busy freeway;
- Your brake lights do not function and you are aware of the issue; and/or
- If you are engaged in an illegal activity (such as drinking or taking illegal drugs) while you are driving and that contributes to the accident.
Contacting a Clarksburg Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been rear-ended in an automobile accident, you should contact a Clarksburg car accident lawyer. They may be able to assist you in the process of obtaining reimbursement for the damage to your vehicle as well as the medical bills incurred because of your injuries. If you have been harmed because of somebody else's negligence, don't hesitate to seek justice. A Clarksburg car accident lawyer from The Miley Legal Group will work with you to fight for the compensation you deserve and help you to move on with your life. Contact us today for a free consultation - 304-326-1800.