As teen drivers are the most inexperienced drivers on the road, it is important for parents of those drivers to make sure that they are fully prepared for the driving experience. Teens often feel invincible, which when combined with their general driving inexperience, can lead to rash, irresponsible behavior and disastrous accidents. One of the best ways to prevent teen driving accidents in West Virginia is to have a high level of parental involvement in your teen's early driving years. Teens will look to parents for driving advise and as a role model, so it is important that when driving with teens, that you drive in a safe manner. When parents encourage safe driving and enforce safety rules, it can reduce the chances of teen driving accidents in West Virginia greatly.
Several things you, as a parent, can do to help teens stay safe include:
- Practice with new drivers. Practice makes perfect, and when it comes to driving, you want teens to drive in a safe manner.
- Allow your teen to earn the privilege of driving. This will not only reinforce the importance of responsible driving, but the idea that driving is not a right.
- Discuss the dangers of riding with inexperienced teen drivers and the dangers of having distracting passengers in cars.
- Teach your teen basic car upkeep and maintenance.
- Set a strict curfew to curb nighttime driving.
- Do not assist your teen in paying speeding tickets or other driving infractions. Instead, enforce predetermined discipline methods.
Driving is a privilege, not a right -- something you may need to keep reminding your teen of. Enforcing safe driving rules may not be the highlight of a parent's life, but it will be well worth the effort by helping keep teens and roadways safe. For more information, visit DriveitHome.org, a service of the National Safety Council.
If you have questions regarding teen driving laws or issues surrounding teen driving accidents, contact our office. In the unfortunate event of an accident we will be glad to provide you with the information you will need to reach a satisfactory outcome. Take the time to look at the other resources we have available on our website, including our videos and our frequently asked questions section.