Though every West Virginia motorcycle accident will be unique in its cause(s), injuries incurred and related factors, there are some common elements that appear when considering motorcycle accidents as a whole.
Some of these "trends" in motorcycle accidents can be seen when looking at a study conducted by The University of Southern California, with the financial backing of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The study looked at 900 motorcycle accidents and 3,600 traffic reports involving cycles to paint a picture of motorcycle crash factors and general biker safety.
Listed below are some of the findings from the study:
- Roughly 75% of the motorcycle accidents involved a rider colliding with a car; the remaining crashes involved colliding with the road or a fixed object.
- Roadway conditions, such as potholes, accounted for about 2% of the motorcycle accidents.
- Approximately two-thirds of the motorcycle accidents with a motor vehicle were caused by a driver of a vehicle failing to yield the right-of-way to a biker.
- Many of the accidents occurred when a driver failed to see the motorcycle.
- Many accidents involved a car making a left turn in front of the motorcycle.
- Most of the accidents occurred at intersections.
- Most of the accidents occurred during short trips.
- 62% of the crashes resulted in leaks and spills from gas, presenting a fire hazard.
- 96% of motorcyclists involved were male.
- Half of the motorcycle fatalities involved alcohol usage.
To learn more about the common causes of motorcycle accidents and the type of injuries that typically occur with a West Virginia motorcycle crash, visit our article library.
Contacting a Clarksburg Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When motorcycles collide with passenger cars, the results will likely be life-changing. Although there will be a lot of questions and important decisions to make during this time, choosing the right legal representation can help you make the most informed decisions possible while you seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. The Miley Legal Group in Clarksburg, West Virginia will work with you to fight for the compensation you deserve and help you to move on with your life. Contact us today for a no cost consultation - 304-326-1800