In order to safeguard your West Virginia car accident claim, there are a number of protective measures you should take immediately following the accident, as well as a number of actions from which you should abstain.
Call the police. This is the very first action you should take immediately following your West Virginia car accident. If you are unable to make the call, tell the other driver do so, or ask a witness or passenger to make the call.
Get names, numbers, and addresses of all others involved in the West Virginia car accident, including any and all witnesses.
- Take pictures with your camera or camera phone of the accident scene.
- Exchange auto insurance information with the other driver.
- Keep your vehicle where it is. Notify the other driver that police are on the way. Ask that they keep their car unmoved until police arrive, and until you take pictures of the accident unless it is unsafe to do so.
- Take pictures of your injuries, if visible. If you are seriously hurt, ask someone to aid you in taking all pictures and in collecting all names and addresses, when possible.
- Do not talk about the details of the accident with anyone at the scene. Refrain from discussing fault, guilt, or from making any apologies.
- Do not move if you are injured. If possible, remain inside your car until police and emergency responders arrive.
- Seek immediate medical care, and follow all medical advice and treatments for your injury.
To learn more about how to safeguard your West Virginia car accident claim, visit our article library.
Unfortunately, car accidents are a regular occurrence on West Virginia roadways such as I-79, I-77, Route 50, Route 33, and I-68. In fact, our state averages over 40,000 car crashes, over 400 deaths, and over 11,000 serious injuries each year. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a West Virginia car accident, order a FREE copy of our consumer guide, The 7 Biggest Mistakes that Can Wreck Your West Virginia Car Accident Claim then contact the Clarksburg personal injury attorneys at The Miley Legal Group for a FREE consultation - 304-326-1800